Monday, April 25, 2011

I'm still a bit wired so I figured, "Hey, its 12:08 so technically its Day 4" and I've been thinking about what I want to draw. I have found I really like the Fantasy! Cartooning book, and along with my other books I intend to keep drawing from it, but it can only take me so far. Along with that book I've been reading How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way and How To Draw Noir Comics and the Marvel book has shown me (so far) the importance of dramatic posing and the Noir book has shown me importance of dramatic lighting.

I do not feel, at this level, that I am ready to begin experimenting with lighting just yet. Soon, maybe even later today, I plan on drawing some terrain; an area in which I am seriously lacking. I plan on drawing simple things at first, like trees and bushes and hills and such.

Also, today I went to the book store looking for a photoshop painting book to help me with my photoshop skills, and unfortunately I couldn't find it but I did get my hands on Fantasy Genesis. As a review I have for it, when I skimmed the book and thought that there were tons of variations, but it turns out there are technically only a few, but enough to get your mind working. The rest is a how-to book and I don't care for the art, but I do plan on going the Pokemon route and creating 150 random creatures, although I may not draw all of them in high detail.

I have also been skimming the web for a Penny-Arcade tutorial, but have yet to find many, only a few bare-bones ones. I really like the Penny-Arcade dramatic coloring they do. Normally their comics are just monochromatic with solid colors but here are a few that glow brightly and I really enjoy this style of coloring and I'd like to know how they do it. I can say though, I have only ever painted one thing in my entire life (excluding finger paintings when I was a child) and it came out horrible. If there is one thing I absolutely need to work on, it's my colors.

So tomorrow, after I return home from my college, I will begin work on terrain via photoshop. And a quick word on photoshop, I now really enjoy it, but the lines always come out bright in some spots, dark in others and I'm at a loss as to how to fix it because I can't press down too hard or it becomes jagged.

Well, now that I've talked you to death, I'm going to go to sleep. Look forward to tomorrow! (well, technically later today.)

No comments:

Post a Comment